Residential Trash Collection Service
Residential Trash Collection
The City of Springfield provides trash carts to all residential customers and services residential customers once a week. Carts must be curbside by 5:30 a.m. All trash must be bagged and inside the cart.
Extra household trash generated due to holidays must placed in a plastic garbage bag next to the cart. Additional trash that overflows the cart or is left on or around the cart on a regular basis will not be picked up. Trash placed in privately owned containers, cans or carts will not be collected.
If the practice of leaving excess waste in and around the trash cart continues, the city at its discretion, may provide an additional trash cart at the residence and increase the sanitation rate accordingly.
Call or email our office if you need an additional city cart, your assigned cart number or your collection day.
The current rate for residential trash collection is $13 per month. If an additional cart is needed the rate will increase to $26.00 per month.
Trash Cart Policies
All carts must be placed at the curb or the edge of your property by 5:30 a.m. on your scheduled collection day regardless of when your cart is "normally" collected. If your cart is not out when the driver is in your area you will not receive service for that week. As soon as practical, after the trash cart has been emptied, it must be removed by the owner or occupant away from the curb until the next scheduled time for collection. It is a violation of a city ordinance to leave carts at the curb. Each owner or occupant must keep the trash cart clean and sanitary in compliance with heath and sanitation requirements. All policies must be followed or cart will not be serviced:
- Cart must be placed at the curb or the edge of your property by 5:30 a.m.
- All trash must be bagged. Loose trash causes littering.
- Cart must be 4' from any object (other carts, fences, mail boxes or vehicles) to give the collection equipment adequate room to grasp cart.
- Cart must be in correction location, in line and behind the "X". Please call our office if your X has faded.
- Excess trash is not allowed. Your cart will not be serviced if you have trash on top of your cart. After 3 excess warnings you will be delivered an additional cart and your sanitation fee will increase accordingly.
- Lid must be completely closed. This prevents littering and keeps rain from entering cart.
- Lid opening must point towards the street to allow collection equipment to empty cart. If the cart is not facing the correct direction it will not be serviced.
- Only usual bagged household waste is allowed in cart. If junk items or yard waste is found in cart it will not be serviced.
- With the driver's discretion, a limit of three bags of yard waste (grass, hedge trimmings, leaves or small twigs) may be collected with your regular weekly residential trash cart collection (50 pound weight limit). Place bagged yard waste beside your trash cart.
- Remove trash cart from the curb after it has been emptied. This prevents others from using your cart.
|CART DO's||CART DONT's|
|Place cart out the night before your
scheduled pick up to avoid
missing early morning collection.
|Wait until you hear the truck in the
area to take cart out, drivers are
not required to wait.
|Put away cart after it is emptied.||Leave cart at the curb all week.|
|Put all household trash in bags and
|Leave excess on top of cart, it will
not be picked up.